Pages

Saturday 6 October 2012

The swim-suit rule

As the father of a young girl, as well as an abuse survivor, one of my top priorities in life is to protect my daughter from ever experiencing abuse. The reality is that 1 in 4 girls, and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before they come of age. So how can a parent enhance their child's chances of being among the 3 out of 4, the 5 out of 6?

One good tip I've come across is the underwear rule. The basic idea is that no one is allowed to touch your child in areas normally covered by underwear, and that you should not touch someone else there.

When teaching it to my daughter, I amended it slightly. Since my daughter does not wear bras yet, I thought there was a risk that she might not understand that her breasts are part of the no-touch zone. So I taught it to her as the "swimsuit rule".

I urge every parent or prospective parent to spend some time reading that site, and following their recommendations. It might just save your children from becoming another victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that all comments are moderated and may take a while to appear.