Pages

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Things I have learned in 2012

2012 was a year of many lessons. Here are some of the lessons I learned:

  • Chewing gum cannot be removed from hair. You have to cut it out.
  • Earthworms can be pets.
  • It's fun to put pet-earthworms to work in a worm-farm.
  • I-messages are wonderfully effective.
  • So is active listening.
  • So is EMDR.
  • It is ok to be vulnerable sometimes, even for men. Even for dads.
  • In life, you have to gamble sometimes. Perhaps you will win, perhaps not. But if you don't try, you lose anyway.
  • Love is a risk worth taking.
  • Nothing could have made my parents love me, even if I was perfect.
  • In the eyes of society, the reputations of powerful adults are still more important than the well-being of little kids.
  • No matter what you do, there will always be someone who will criticize you for it.
  • The average adult has no idea how to help an abused child.
  • I am not as strong as I thought, and yet - 
  • I am much stronger than I ever imagined.
  • It takes strength to admit that you are weak.
  • A child should never be blamed for doing whatever it takes to stay alive. 
  • 16 year old boys are still kids. 
  • The simplest way to ensure that you'll make mistakes, is by trying to be perfect.
  • Listen to your kids - you might just learn from them.
  • School uniforms are helluva expensive.
  • A cheese sandwich, made by a 5 year old, tastes better than a gourmet meal in a restaurant.
  • A little girl's kisses can ease even the worst pain.
  • Sometimes you can influence people in ways you never imagined, simply by sharing your truth.
  • You cannot grow inside your own comfort zone.
  • It's ok to fall. 
  • It's ok to ask someone to help you get up.
  • Courage is not the absence of fear. It's the willingness to act in spite of fear.
  • Try not to project your own fears onto your children. Life is scary enough for little kids even without an adult's baggage.
  • I get to write the book of my own life.
  • Life truly is beautiful.

What have you learned this year?

2 comments:

  1. Ice sometimes works on chewing gum in hair.

    I have learnt to be more patient with people's funny habits or mannerisms.

    I have learnt to imagine myself walking in the other persons shoes.

    I have learnt that my adult children are remarkable in so many new ways.

    But most of all I have learnt like you that life is truly beautiful and well worth making the best of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Thanks for the ice tip. I have a feeling I'll have an opportunity to try it sooner or later...

      Delete

Please note that all comments are moderated and may take a while to appear.